Broadwalk


Originally planned as a tramway, the development of the Motor Bus made the plan unnecessary. Broadwalk stretches from the Town Square to Station Place, the trees have now been removed and a wide path with flower beds at each side have replaced them.



A early postcard of an incomplete Broadway / Broadwalk showing the Police station (now incorporated into the side of Morrisons Supermarket) and the Primitive Methodist Church, long gone.. The roof visible on the left edge is the Post Office



To the right is the Arena Parade of shops , built on open space after the 1953 Jubilee celebrations ( I don't have an exact date at the moment ) this fills the area previously known as the Arena . With shops with rear access on three sides , and two car parks , one behind the shops , the other between the shops and The Town Hall.

Refurbished in the 1980's adding these canopies over the pavements which reduces the modern starkness the block had when it was first built.



Beyond is the Post Office (now an office of NH Homes) designed by Bennett and Bidwell in 1912 and extended in 1937. Joined to the Estate Office it is in the earlier Art and Crafts style rather than Georgian.



Another view from station place, this time during the '40's



The same view 2015, you can see the Arena Parade additions just past the Post Office blocking the view of the back of the Town Hall. Originally an area of grass of approximately 1.5 acres, Arena Parade was used by the town for Fetes, rallies, visiting circuses and fairs. In September 1953 (50th Anniversary of the First Garden City Limited) the Golden Jubilee Trade Fair was held on the Arena. The present shop development commenced in 1959/60 and was completed 1962/63. There are 20 shop units, the first being built along Eastcheap and the remainder later.



The Broadway Hotel Directly opposite the Garden City Estate Offices. Designed in 1960 by Sidney Clarke in Georgian style it had the first cocktail bar allowed in the centre of Letchworth.