South View


The route down South View takes you from the Town Square almost all the way to Baldock Road, where it comes together with Sollershotts East .

There are many substantial houses along this route including opposite the end of Lytton Avenue this pleasant group by C.M.Crickmer (1914) set back from the road by a small area of green. At the side of these houses is a pathway leading to allotments set right in the between two major residential streets.



Just past the southern end of Lytton Avenue is this semi detached house by C.M.Crickmer (1912) based on his designs for a competition at Gidea Park in 1911 where he won First Prize.



At the bottom end of the road is Howgills, "The Friends Meeting House".

Designed by Bennett and Bidwell and built for Miss Juliet Reckitt (daughter of the owner of Reckitt and Coleman) in 1907.



This public building is a place of worship for the Quakers, and host to many activities, with over 20 local groups using it for meetings, it is also a venue for educational courses and recreational events.

For example the Letchworth Music club holds regulat classical concerts and Hitchin Allstars practice there